Friday, March 14, 2014

Profile Post

It was difficult to look for a blog about food and culture because there's so many damn foodies out there! Many of the blogs that I sorted through ranged from food review blogs to food photography blogs. I don't think I have the authority to rate food, nor do I have the knowledge to give you food recipes, and the only camera I have is on my phone, and that's why my blog is about the cultures that surround food.

The name of the blog is "Eating L.A." with the clever tagline "it's your city, you might as well taste it." Thanks for the suggestion Pat! Pat is a local from the Silver Lake area who is a writer for Variety and she has other blogs that she writes for as well: Silver Lake Story and hipstavore. She has been bloggin' since 2004 and has done fantastic blog posts.

Pat's latest post was on February 25, 2014 and she seems to post a few times a month. One blog that I enjoyed reading was about a new bar, the Hyperion Public opening up in Los Feliz. I thought it was interesting because the community was concerned about having a "sports bar" in their neighborhood and the typical "sports bar" character didn't quite fit the neighborhood's persona. Pat mentions, "The upstairs bar does have TVs showing sports events, but with bingo, karaoke and live music nights, the owners are working hard to make sure the bar has something for everyone in the community." This gives me something to think about, because my blog is about food and culture and it never occurred to me that restaurants may have a hard time fitting in with the area. It seems the Hyperion Public has revamped the interior to make it look chic and they also serve food that is appealing to the community. Another blog that caught my eye was about a Yelp review. Apparently Pizzeria Delfina in NYC was clever enough to make t-shirts of their bad Yelp reviews. It was a knee slapper!

This blog does not specifcally relate to my work, but it does provide some interesting insight. The posts seem to vary on details, but the blog would help me best for my own blog ideas. I don't think its an academic blog, because it is targeted toward Los Angelinos that do want a taste of the city.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this is Danielle (I am telling you who I am because I'm not sure how to get credit for this assignment haha)

    I really enjoyed reading this post! It makes me want to check out Pat's blog, as she seems witty and cool based on your description. I would also love to check out the Hyperion Public. I always wanted to go to a place that had a variety of different ways to entertain people. It seems pretty innovative because it offers ways to entertain more than just those in sports culture. It's a fusion of cultures- which is awesome! Good idea! I also liked your commentary on how you never really thought about a restaurant fitting into the community. I haven't really thought of that either, but it makes sense. If a restaurant doesn't really fit the character or culture of the community, it won't thrive there. That's definitely why there are businesses that fail, even if they have cool ideas. Community culture shapes what should be placed around the community to cater to their needs. This insight might prove very useful to you when you are blogging about the relationship between foodies and culture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stuff. Do foodies dictate trends in what's hip in the restaurant culture or does the restaurant culture dictate trends in foodies? Food for thought...

    - Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete