Friday, April 4, 2014

$$$

I've always had champagne taste with beer money. ALWAYS!!! When I'm shopping for clothes (which isn't often) all the clothes I like are ridiculously over-priced. It's the same with finding a restaurant.

I was waiting for my Social Inequality class to begin, I sat down and there was a magazine called Restaurant Guide. "What a coinkydink," I thought. Here I am, a blog writer about food and culture and here lays a magazine that was waiting for me to open. I don't often come across paper literature since I am Hooked on Yelp. I began to flip the glossy pages looking for a new place and counting how many restaurants I've actually been to.  (which wasn't many) There was one thing that annoyed the shit out of me. Every damn restaurant that sounded so amazing was so fucking expensive!!! I was enraged. I felt like I could never be able to afford one of those places. I honestly felt like Andie Walsh from Pretty In Pink when she is parked outside this beautiful home with Duckie. She says something like "I bet they don't even appreciate it." I'm sure people that visit fancy restaurants are so blasé about the impeccable service and the exquisite food.

It really had me thinking how restaurants can be an example of the division of classes. But really think about it. I know money is uncomfortable to bring up, but how many times have you read a yelp review, but then dismissed it because it was $$$ and not $. It's exactly how I am when I go clothes shopping.

Let me describe some of these restaurants for you: A French Brasserie & Bar. In the blurb they use words such as "mixologist," and serve "absinthe" and "steak tartare au conteau." Je ne parle pas français! $$$ Don't get me wrong I would love to visit this place, but goddammit I only have beer money. Compared to a $ restaurant there were limitations. I would not get steak tartare au conteau at a $. "But would I trust a place that served steak tartare au conteau for $?"

When I was done being offended I realized that I am getting what I paid for. A restaurant with impeccable service and exquisite delicacies should be priced accordingly--which is sadly breaks my piggy bank.

Despite this I feel as if people who are unable to try these expensive restaurants are limited in food choices. While flipping through the Resturant Guide I found a lot of American, Asian, and Latin places that are between $-$$. But who hasn't tried a burger, taco or noddles? Let's get some diversity here.

I am ultimately conflicted because I feel shunned away (and even intimidated) by these amazing fancy restaurants that I would love to try out, which makes a little bit angry. Why can't I have an unforgettable restaurant experience for less than $$$? (maybe an amazing restaurant experience is subjective, omg do i have super high standards?) Why are the cheap eats the holy trinity of food--American, Asian and Latin?

Thank you Restaurant Guide for giving me food for thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment